Who we are
Highmark Inc. is a national, diversified health care partner based in Pittsburgh that serves members across the United States through its businesses in health insurance, dental insurance, vision care and reinsurance.
We, and our affiliates, operate health insurance plans in Pennsylvania, Delaware and West Virginia that serve 5.2 million members and employ approximately 18,000 people. We are among the top 10 largest health insurers in the United States and are the third-largest Blue Cross and Blue Shield-affiliated company. Highmark is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
Health insurance products and services
We offer a variety of health insurance plans in our core service areas:
- Western Pennsylvania (3 million members)
- Central Pennsylvania and Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania (1.2 million members)
- Northeastern Pennsylvania (320,000 members)
- West Virginia (290,000 members)
- Delaware (440,000 members)
We also cooperatively market health insurance products in southeastern Pennsylvania through a joint operating agreement with Independence Blue Cross.
Our participation in the BlueCard Program offers members benefits through provider networks of other Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans nationally and worldwide.
Health-related products and services
Our diversified businesses also provide a broad spectrum of specialty products, such as dental insurance, vision care and reinsurance to 50 million Americans across all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Our diversified businesses rank among the nation's leaders in their categories:
- Third largest vision managed care organization by revenue
- Second largest optical retail chain by revenue
- Fifth largest dental insurance carrier in the U.S.
- Among the top five largest stop loss carriers
- Our company posted $17.7 billion consolidated revenues in 2015.
- Our company is rated "A-" by A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's.
- Our company provided $14.9 million in contributions to create stronger, healthier communities in 2015.