Our employees are our company's greatest asset. They not only give 100 percent to their jobs, but they also go above and beyond by supporting community programs. In fact, they are the heart and passion of our mission. For example, in 2016, employees logged more than 37,000 hours of volunteer services, valued at more than $835,000.
Employee Volunteer Program
Through the Employee Volunteer Program, we are proud to have a network of volunteers who are committed to making a difference in their communities. Our employees are connected with volunteer opportunities to assist nonprofit organizations and the community.
The criteria for organizations to request support from the Employee Volunteer Program are:
- Organization must be located in our service region.
- Organization must have a 501(c)(3) nonprofit designation.
- Organization must have an event coordinator.
- Evening and weekend volunteer opportunities must be available.
- Daytime volunteer opportunities can be submitted from team building service projects.
- The location of the volunteer opportunity must be near where our employees work or live.
- We will review each request to determine if it is consistent with our mission.
- Requests must be submitted for consideration at least two months prior to an event.
If your nonprofit organization is looking for volunteers and meets these criteria, submit the Volunteer Opportunity form.
Recognizing our employees for their volunteer efforts
Recognizing our employees for their volunteer service is an important component of our commitment. Employees who volunteer with local nonprofit organizations often know best about the needs of those institutions. Our Employee Volunteer Grant Program is designed to reinforce the company's appreciation for those employees who dedicate their time and talents to volunteer.
Each quarter, active employee volunteers can submit applications for consideration for individual $500 grants for the nonprofit organizations where they volunteer.
Jefferson Awards for Public Service
Since 2007, Highmark has had the opportunity to distinguish and honor outstanding employee volunteers throughout our company through the Jefferson Awards for Public Service. We are the only health care company in Pennsylvania with the honor of recognizing our employees in this way making this award truly unique. However, service to our communities through our volunteers is felt not only throughout Pennsylvania, but also in West Virginia, Delaware and across the country through our diversified businesses.
For more information about our employee volunteerism, please e-mail HighmarkVolunteers@highmark.com