Consumerism Press Kit
Engaging consumers in their health: Our consumerism strategy
In the 1990s, we noticed that a significant change was under way: consumers were assuming a greater role in managing their health care. At that time, we launched our consumerism initiative, which encourages members to be proactively involved in their health care and provides them with the tools and resources they need to select a health plan, use health care services and make lifestyle choices.
The goal of our consumerism strategy is to encourage our members to be actively involved in their health care and achieve good, lifelong health.
The following are our large consumerism initiatives. These materials provide detailed information about our efforts.
- Highmark Direct health insurance store to open in Allentown (July 12, 2013)
- Highmark Direct to celebrate grand opening of Erie location and new health coach in-store service (Aug. 17, 2012)
- Highmark Direct health insurance store to open in Erie (June 21, 2012)
- Highmark offers group product that encourages use of high-quality hospitals (March 28, 2013)
- Highmark pilots Ways to Save Alerts™ from Change Healthcare to engage members through savings suggestions (Feb. 14, 2013)
- Highmark and 20 of its group customers recognized among western Pennsylvania's Healthiest Employers (June 14, 2012)
- Highmark value-based benefit designs incent employees to get engaged in health care (March 30, 2012)
- Highmark and 14 of its group customers honored by Pittsburgh Business Times as healthiest employers (June 16, 2011)
- Highmark study shows worksite wellness programs slowed health care cost growth (Feb. 28, 2011)
- Highmark launches "Daily Steps to Less Stress" program in the community for better health through new strategies that reduce stress (Nov. 1, 2012)
- Highmark and Healthrageous to pilot new digital diabetes self-management program (Sept. 21, 2012)
- Highmark launches call-in care advocate program to members (Feb. 1, 2012)
- Highmark Health Services and Array Health form strategic partnership as MyBenefits defined contribution platform expands (Aug. 29, 2013)
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield launches Community Blue, a select-network product, to western Pa. group customers and individuals (Sept. 10, 2012)
- Highmark's Choice Blue aims to lower health care costs for businesses in Erie region (April 4, 2012)
- Highmark introduces new individual health insurance plan featuring simple, affordable coverage with low deductible (Jan. 12, 2012)
- Highmark to fundamentally change small business health insurance through pilot private exchange with Array Health (Nov. 15, 2011)
- Highmark introduces new individual product with advance coverage for doctor visits, lab tests and prescription drugs (Aug. 9, 2011)
For more information about consumerism or to request an interview with our experts on this issue, contact Leilyn Perri at 717-302-4243 or email@example.com.