Matthew J. Rhenish
Senior Vice President, Pharmacy and Market Strategies, Highmark Inc.
Matthew J. Rhenish has served as senior vice president of Pharmacy and Market Strategies for Highmark Inc. since November 2018. In this role, he drives strategic endeavors and growth strategies across the Health Plan. He also has direct responsibility for pharmacy, sales operations, product development, portfolio management and sales training.
Prior to this role, he served as president of national and specialty markets and was responsible for Commercial Business in Delaware, West Virginia, and National Accounts.
Mr. Rhenish previously held the position of president and chief operating officer of HM Insurance Group and pharmacy markets in addition to multiple positions at the consulting firm McKinsey & Company. During his time at McKinsey he worked closely with payors to identify strategies related to health care reform. He also previously served as manager of corporate strategy at Cardinal Health, a multinational health care industry services provider.
Mr. Rhenish received his MBA from Harvard Business School and earned a BSBA in finance from The Ohio State University.
Current Board of Director affiliations include:
- National Kidney Foundation
Thought Leadership Topics:
Controlling drug costs in healthcare
- Ensure our members are getting the right drugs they need on time every time
- Use our partnerships to lower the costs for prescriptions
- Managing the cost of hospital based drugs
Managing health care costs through product designs
- Designing products that provide our members with better care for less
Value of ancillary product line
- Utilize our ancillary value to grow in our current footprint and build new markets
- Stop loss and dental strategies to grow ancillary value
Health plan strategies
- Influencing the future of health care across the country
- Identifying where we will succeed, how we will success, and how everyone has a role in that success